Factsheet: intermediate care and reablement
This factsheet explains intermediate care, a term that includes reablement. It consists of a range of integrated services that can be offered on a short term basis to
- promote faster recovery from illness;
- prevent unnecessaryacute hospital admission;
- prevent premature admission to long-term residential care;
- support timely discharge from hospital; and
- maximise independent living.
If offered, services must be free of charge for periods up to and including six weeks.
The information given in this factsheet is applicable in England. Different rules may apply in Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland. Readers in these nations should contact their respective national Age UK organisations for information specific to where they live – see section 9 for details.